Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Ubuntu(Linux) vs Windows

Hello again...

Now I am going to tell you about my experiences (though not a long experience, but still... ;) ) with using Ubuntu and Windows Vista, both on my computer...

Transition from Windows beautiful environment to Ubuntu was quite smooth... Faced no problem installing Ubuntu and getting it dual boot with Windows.

There was some problem with my dvd rom.. So I just faced little difficulty in getting the Ubuntu's Live CD to run... But otherwise, it was fine.. :)

Now, when Ubuntu got installed on my PC, I was just waiting for the system to boot up.. and try exploring the Linux World... :) On the first run, it asked the basic configuration and administrator details ( which obviously was me :) ) And then it starts.. :)

Now a little truth about the Linux looks... which obviously is the first thing someone sees...
Windows is Googolian ( I hope, Google fans would have got it ;) ) times better than Linux as far as looks are concerned... :D Really, those transparent looks, fading of the windows, etc etc are unmatchable with those of Ubuntu.. I found one funny thing with the Ubuntu.. When you move the title bars of the boxes (windows ;) i think in linux, they are called nautilus), it just bounces with the mouse.. :D just try it yourself.. its really damn funny...

Ages back, when I installed Windows XP on my machine with Cam, sound card, graphics card, etc... it just automatically detected most of the drivers for it... But Ubuntu, which is in competition with Windows Vista, lacks this thing... Just unbelievable... You manually have to install them and get them working...

Ubuntu very efficiently detected my Wireless Card but my net didnt work... :( Finally, I found out that the IPv6 and IPv4 were conflicting and then got them resolved.. Its really very troublesome for some beginner to rectify it on their own..

And most of the softwares and games, which you use on your Windows machine, will not run on Linux.. :( Before installing Linux, make yourself habitual of playing games like, Chess, Mines, etc, etc... which are coming on Windows since ages... :D

And people generally say that Windows is too prone to Virus attacks... But they forgets, millions of minds are working to defame Microsoft Windows... and literally noone is working to defame Linux which is Open Source...

Really, Linux needs a lot improvements to compete with Windows in their User Interface(UI)
They cant catch and hold users with this kind of UI.. It is gem for administrators but until it got UI which can match that of Windows, it can never replace Windows...

Since, I am not so much experienced with Ubuntu, I cant write more.. Will keep writing with my new experiences with Ubuntu.. And I am very soon going to try Fedora.. :)

Byee..

No comments: